Friday 13 April 2012

On the Topic of Emailing

New and somewhat concerning trend within marriage: emailing.
Admittedly, emailing has been going on for some time. Recently, however, the incidences of emailing seem to be on the rise. For instance, today.

Me: Do you think we should go and rent a DVD for tonight?
Hubby: (disgruntled) I take it you did not read my email..?
Me: Email? No, of course not. We have been sitting at the same table all afternoon! I suppose I thought you might speak to me?!
Hubby: Nah. Emailing is easier.
Me: (sarcastically) Right-o... So what did your email say?
Hubby: Ehm... something about something tonight..?
Me: I suppose you will just have to check your sent items..?

The possibility of conflict exists when wife feels the problem is "emailing is an inappropriate tool to use for day-to-day communication within marriage", and hubby feels the problem is "you don't bloody well check your emails".

It's true!

I almost never read an email. (Post Secret Style Confession!!)

I will open an email from the following people:
- Mother
- Sister
- Sister-in-law
- Girlfriends N and N, who almost never email me

That about sums it up. Email to me is what regular mail is for most people. That is to say, something to be left in pile on kitchen bench for months before eventually shoved into bin and thrown out. Only, with email, one can bypass the storing on bench and the actual throwing out.

One of hubby's pet hates is my habit of never actually deleting any of the emails I do not read. I, serenely and in zen-like fashion, leave them to linger in Inbox (and Junk Mail Folder). Like, who cares?
Right. HUBBY cares. A lot.

I never let him look at my Inbox anymore. Is source of great stress for everyone involved when I do.


Since am on the topic - actually had this system of communication going on at previous workplace. Nobody ever actually had to speak to anybody else. This was extra weird, seeing as all sitting in open-plan office-scape with approximately zero personal space.

But hey, why change a working concept?


Am going to finish this entry and email hubby to see what plans are for tomorrow.








No comments: