Tuesday 23 September 2014

Tonsillitis

Bub is experiencing her very first case of tonsillitis

Am fearing the worst, naturally, thinking she'll be a real tonsill-bub like I was.Tonsillitis every few weeks between the ages of as-far-back-as-I-can-remember and bastards-got-removed-via-scalpel in 2000. 

I missed so much school I actually became convinced of the uselessness of main stream education. You do not need 12 years to learn how to read, write, do basic maths and talk your way out of gym-class. 
Different post. 

Unfortunately we'd just had bub vaccinated in the previous week. Jabs are due at 12 months here in Australia, but in Sweden the same ones are due at 18 months. In so far as I place any trust in authority at all, I'd take Sweden's advice over Australia's. Glass of fluoride, anyone? 

In the end we'd given in and booked the appointment even though our precious bundle is a mere 16 months. A week later 40 plus degree fever strikes with a vengeance, bub shaking and refusing to make eye contact with me. 
Was overcome with horror, convinced she may never bounce back (forgetting fact of it being middle of night, and bub probably wanted to get back to sleep - wondering why has mom suddenly gone mad insisting on cold shower, change of clothes and yucky tasting medicine when all I want to do is sleep..? 

One sleepless night later I drag bub to the medical centre, mad hair and stressed look - shouting about reactions to vaccines and not having an appointment and I need a doctor now -  when the most amazing thing happens. 
My doctor is standing right there in the reception area. She has her jacket and a coffee - on her break perhaps - but she ignores the reception lady who says I can wait an hour, says "No - I will see her now!" 

Five minutes later I am once again convinced of the relative safety and scientific benefits of vaccines; bub is not suffering a reaction to them - she has tonsillitis. I'm like... Ahaaaaaa... well, that explains it. 

How to give a 16 month old her medicine:

1. Figure out how to open the damn bottle
2. Figure out how to use the useless bloody measuring device
3. Get husband to hold down baby's extremities
4. Try to pry open baby's mouth whilst at the same time not spilling medicine
5. Hold baby's nose (whilst feeling like worst parent ever. EVER.)
6. Scrape as much of the medicine as possible from baby's neck, cheeks, arms - try to shove it back down her throat again 
7. Optimistically assume atleast some of the medicine has been swallowed
8. Comfort baby
9. Clean yourself, furniture and floor which are covered in sticky medicine
10. Just go to bed




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Låter som en riktigt pärs!